Seriously? Simple ways to Stand Out Like A Pink Flamingo?
Yes, you read correctly but in a metaphorical sense. In this post, I’d like to share my thoughts about Standing out just like a Flamingo in a flock of pigeons. I’ve always been fascinated with Flamingos. Their Barbie pink colour has always appealed to me. A few words come to mind when I think of flamingos: beauty, grace and balance. In this world, we are all free individuals. We can do as we please and live the way we want. In a world that is inundated with social conformity, rigidity, trends, patterns, norms and traditions (and peer pressure) many are conditioned to believe that they are just a cog in the wheel, that they cannot deviate from conformity.
Why most of us don’t want to Stand Out Like A Pink Flamingo
Is it fear of what our friends or family would think or say if we deviated from the norm? Is it because we want to stay safe in our comfort zone? Or maybe it’s because we believe it’s the only way in which we have a chance of being successful in every aspect of our lives?
Thoughts on How to Be A Pink Flamingo
Let’s face it if everyone followed blindly like sheep, it would be a boring world. That’s not to say go buck wild, but be yourself. It’s ok to wear bright clothes, sneakers instead of heels. Go a bit crazy on your hair and makeup. You don’t have to get the exact same smartphone because everyone and their dog has one. Don’t be a sheep and do what everyone else is doing because they expect you too. We should take pride in having our own thoughts, our own unique personalities.
So really how do we Simply stand out like a Pink Flamingo?
- Celebrate your uniqueness. Champion the things that make you unique. Even your hairstyle sets you apart!
- Embrace what you have and understand that there is a better life out there than the one you are trying to replicate.
- Know your values and stick by them. A paper and pen are all you need to write down your positive thoughts.
- Is there a mentor you admire? You are not alone in your desire to live a better and more fulfilling life. Perhaps they are in your social circle, family, your organisation, your spirituality, or on your library shelves. Whether in person or through their writings, absorb as much as you can from them. Learn from them and be inspired by them.
- Reflect regularly. Meditate, contemplate, and reflect. Our lives will always “drift” in the direction of conformity if we lose our directional bearings. Review your list of values and reflect on the current trajectory of your life. Is it headed towards the end you desire… or just following the easy road of everyone else?
“Don’t think you’re on the right road just because it’s a well-beaten path.” – Author Unknown
Going along with the crowd may be mentally reassuring, but it can be even more fulfilling to follow your own unique desires and modes of expression. As long as we do so carefully and consciously, it’s even possible we’ll motivate others to value their own individuality. Your uniqueness is valuable. It is one of the greatest assets you own. It holds potential for great things. Don’t let it slip into mediocrity by choosing to live it just like everybody else.
I’d rather be in a flock of long legged walking flamingos than in a flock of pigeons. What are your thoughts about standing out? Ever wanted to be a Pink Flamingo?
If you saw my last post, you’ll know I’ve been a lil crazy about Pink Bikinis. So check out my Hot Pink Bikini wish list. I’m sure you’ll find one you like. I’m off on Vacation soon and I can’t wait to share it all with you. Don’t forget to be a Pink Flamingo once in a while! Until next time!
Wishing you a lovely week.